Warrandyte State Park
Address: Pound Bend Rd, Warrandyte, Victoria 3113
Freecall: 131 963
The closest state park to Melbourne, Warrandyte is a haven for picnickers, bushwalkers, canoeists, birdwatchers and those who enjoy peace and solitude.
The lightly wooded landscape is dominated by the Yarra River as it winds through the Warrandyte Gorge. The hills around Warrandyte have a distinctive bluish-green hue, typical of the Red Box foliage common in the area.
Things to do
- The clear light and peace and silence of the bush have always been a source of inspiration to artists, writers and people who wish to contemplate nature.
- Picnicking, bushwalking, swimming, bird-watching, fishing, exploring forgotten goldfields, nature walks and photography are popular.
- So is canoeing on the Yarra River, but sufficient time must be allowed for this activity - the journey by canoe from the canoe access ramp at Wittons Reserve (Mount Lofty) to Jumping Creek Reserve is about six hours.
- Horse riding is permitted along designated trails, and gold panning is allowed in Andersons Creek.
- Abseiling and rock climbing are permitted at Whipstick Gully Quarry by arrangement with the senior ranger.
Before you go
Conditions can change in parks for many reasons. For the latest information on changes to local conditions, please visit the relevant park page on the Parks Victoria website.
Be bushfire ready in the great outdoors. Refer to the Bushfire Safety section on the Parks Victoria website for tips on how to stay safe.
Content: Parks Victoria
Jumping Creek Reserve: through Warrandyte, turn left into Jumping Creek Road (Melway ref: 24 A11).
Black Flat: through Warrandyte, turn into Tills Drive (Melway ref: 23 J10).
Yarra Brae (and Clifford Park): through Warrandyte, turn into Clifford Drive (Melway ref: 24 J6), or take Jumping Creek Road and Reserve Road to Wittons Reserve (Melway ref: 24 K6).
Roads out of Warrandyte lead to Whipstick Gully, Fourth Hill and the gold memorial.
Pound Bend Reserve is on Pound Bend Road (Melway ref: 23 A11).
- Visitor information centre
- Mountain biking
- Rock climbing
- Fishing - Estuary
- Self guided
Activities and attractions