Welcome, skip to the content.

An accredited museum housed in the Town Hall complex. The Research Centre is in the old Infant Welfare Centre.

The Town Hall was built in 1876, a magnificent two storey National Trust classified building.
The interior of the building is notable for the magnificent classic winding staircase of local Basalt and ironwork.

The museum’s collection comprises of:

Paintings, prints, and artifacts of the famous Lindsay family who were born in Creswick.
Colonial art works of Burkitt, Moyle and Tibbits depicting life of early Creswick and district.
Collection of naïve artist Victor Litherland’s paintings and Springmount Pottery.
Gold mining history of Creswick and district.
The former Council Chamber is retained very much as it was when it was last used for Council meetings.
A collection of photographs from the district.

Creswick was the place where the New Australasian Gold Mining Disaster happened in 1882 with the loss of 22 miners.

Notable people from the region were John Curtin, Captain Hepburn, Alexander Peacock and William Spence.

The Research Centre is a Place of Deposit, Public Records Office. Amongst the collection is Creswick Advertisers 1859 to 1974 and maps of the district.

Content: Creswick Museum

Price & booking


Type Entry cost
Tour groups during the week can be arranged @ $3.00. Two days notice required.
$4.00 - $5.00

More info

Social media:
  • Car park
  • Self guided
Opening hours:
  • Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
  • Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm

25 Dec 2016

  • Sunday: Closed

14 Apr 2017

  • Closed
  • Museums Australia
  • Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation

  • Disabled access available, contact operator for details